Lake Highlands High School
Graduated top 1%
Southern Methodist University, Dallas
BA Degree in Chemistry
Phi Beta Kappa
Magna Cum Laude
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Post Graduate Training
Internship - Baylor University Medical Center 1984-85
General Surgery - Baylor University Medical Center 1985-89
American Board of Surgery - 1990; Rectification 1998, 2010
American Board of Surgery - Critical Care 1992
Chief of Minimally Invasive Surgery – Baylor Health Care System
Clinical Instructor of General Surgery – Texas A&M College of Medicine
Chairman of the Medical Committee – Baylor Medical Center at Uptown
Licensure & Medical Societies
Texas State License
Texas Medical Association
Dallas County Medical Society
Fellow American College of Surgeons (10/93)
American Society of General Surgeons
Program Chairman-North Texas Chapter
American College of Surgeons - 1998
President - Society of Baylor Surgeons 2004-2008
Partner - Drs. Vanderpool, Westmoreland & Arnold - 1989 - present
Attending Surgeon - Baylor University Medical Center
Attending Surgeon - Baylor Regional Medical Center Plano
Chief of Surgery - Baylor Medical Center Uptown
Members Transplant Associates, P.A.
Member - Southwest Physicians Association
Department of Surgery Teaching Staff
(Past and Present)
Current Literature Review
Morbidity & Mortality Conference
Basic Science Conference
Laparoscopy Lab Instructor
Hospital Committees (Past & Present)
Surgical Advisory Committee
Resident Selection Committee
Surgical Education Committee
Medical Executive Committee
United Surgical Partners International Board Member
Governing Board - Baylor Medical Center at Uptown
Presentations, Publications & Awards
- "Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication" - Society of Baylor Surgeons 1996
- "Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication" - Texas Surgical Society 1996
- Westmoreland MV, Vanderpool BD, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication. Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings 1997; 10(1) 9-11.
- Ritter DW, Vanderpool D, Westmoreland M; Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Am J Surg 1997; 1974:715-717.
- "Laparoscopic Treatment of Esophgeal Achalasia": - North Texas American College of Surgeons 1998.
- Vanderpool D, Westmoreland M, Fetner E; Achalasia: Willis or Heller? Baylor Univeristy Medical Center Proceedings 1999; 12:227-230.
- Stroman DL, Westmoreland M, et. al.; The Role of Computed Tomography in the Diagnosis of Acute Appendicitis. Am J Surg 1999; 178 (6):485-489.
- "Laparoscopic Heller Myotomy" - Society of Baylor Surgeons 2000.
- Vanderpool D, Westmoreland MV; Laparoscopically Assisted Colon Surgery. Baylor University medical Center Proceedings 2000; 13:211-213.
- Goldstein R, Orr D, Meyer R, Derrick H, Westmoreland M, Levy M, Klintmalm G; "Treatment of Hepatomas in Cirrhotic Patients with Radiofrequency Thermal Ablation". International Congress of the Transplantation Society, 2000.
- Gogel B, Westmoreland M, Derrick H, Seiba, M; "Laparoscopic Donor Nephrectomy: The Baylor Experience". North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons; February 2001.
- "Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery" - MedProvider Monthly Conference - February 2001.
- Derrick H, Westmoreland M; "Laparoscopic Donor Nephrectomy" - Texas Surgical Society. April 2001.
- Westmoreland M; "Midsadventures in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery" - American College of Surgeons. April 2001 - Symposium Moderator.
- "Laparoscopic Donor Nephrectomy" - Texas Medical Association meeting 2002.
- Dresel A, Khun J, Westmoreland M, Talaasen L, McCarty T; Establishing a Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Program: Prospective Analysis of First 100 Patients. Am J Surg 2002; 184, 6:617-620.
- Fore D, Westmoreland M, Arnold D, Vanderpool D; "Lessons Learned: Laparoscopic Heller Myotomy" - N. Texas Chapter, American College of Surgeons. February 2005.
- D Magazine. "The Best Doctors in Dallas" 2001, 2002, 2005-2013.
- Texas Monthly Magazine. "Texas Super Doctors" 2005-2012.
- Resident Teaching Award 2002.